Sports Injury in Knoxville
How Active Adults and Athletes Can Get Out of Pain and Back to Doing What They Love In Knoxville
If you’ve recently had a sports, exercise, or dance injury, or if you’ve been suffering with an injury for a while – it can be very tempting to pass it off as “nothing serious” and simply “put up with it.”
Or, it can be very easy to get disheartened and end up feeling “stuck”, wondering if you’ll ever be able to get back to your favorite activities . . back to feeling strong and being with your friends. It can be tempting after a while to think of yourself as a former athlete, dancer, etc.
If that’s happening to you, you’re not alone – we see people going through this all the time.
I’m going to ask you to consider something. When the strongest, healthiest athletes in the world get injured, they DON’T WAIT to start working their way back to health – they start treatment the NEXT DAY because they know that every extra day you aren’t active is another day you are losing wellness and strength and the more strength you lose, the harder it is to recover from an injury.
This is completely the opposite to the way that most people respond to getting an athletic injury, and is why so many people suffering with a sports injury are asking themselves:
“It’s Been Months Now – So Why Am I Still Suffering With an Injury That’s Stopping Me From Being Active and Playing My Favorite Sport?”
Most people think that when they get a Sports Injury it’ll get better with a few days rest, and that they’ll be able to return to their sport or exercise again, quickly. But then when they go back to exercise again they’re still restricted – sometimes it’s even worse than it was when it first came on. Often when you rest there is little if any pain – but as soon as you start up again, it comes back and no matter how much rest you give it – it doesn’t seem to be improving.
And just resting does nothing to get to the why behind your injury. Was there something going on that contributed to your injury–perhaps your neck pain is really connected so weakness in your back. Perhaps your sprain is due to underlying stability and muscle imbalance issues that need to be addressed.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario we see all the time in our clinic is someone has gone to their doctor and their well-meaning doctor told them they need to take a break, rest, wear a support and “try these painkillers” to “see how it goes” – but then 4 weeks later they end up going back to the same doctor again because the injury hasn’t got any better, only to be given MORE rest, and ANOTHER prescription of even stronger pills.
The problem is that when it comes to sports injuries – hamstrings, ankle sprains, runner’s knee etc., – complete rest is rarely the best advice.
So maybe you’re confused and frustrated because you have been told different things, by different people. Maybe you think you have a back problem – but it’s actually the hip where the problem came from?
Sports injuries can be very confusing because more often than not, where the pain is coming from, isn’t actually the area that needs to be fixed and worked on and if you rest for too long – other parts of the body become just as, if not more problematic!
This confusion over “resting” often leads people to continue to procrastinate and put off making a decision about what to do to help fix their injury and return back to exercise. Despite what some people think, rest is never the answer to solve any sports or muscle injury. In all my years as a physical therapist working with athletes, I haven’t witnessed any injury in any sport that is helped by prolonged rest. Worse, many people just end up accepting ‘their days of being active are over’ – as if it’s normal, as if it ‘has’ to be that way. They unintentionally choose an unnecessary limitation because they don’t believe they can get better, when more often than not, they can!
Is That How You Feel Too?
Why does knee pain last longer than it should? It’s easy to get confused because you’ve been told so many different things by different people. There are lots of people out there who are happy to give you advice, but not all of the things you hear are reliable.
Your knee pain might have been caused by something like an awkward angle around the knee when you squat or lift. but it could have been caused by other things that were never properly taken care of (poor posture, alignment issues, weakness and muscle imbalance) .These things along with that time you lifted or squatted awkwardly, eventually caused that pain you’re now experiencing.
If you don’t know what you’re doing, or you have received poor advice, knee pain can be very confusing. Because of that many people end up accepting that pain is just part of their life.
Do You Feel That Way Too?
- You thought it would go away on it’s own – but it didn’t.
- You went to the Doctor who told you to rest, wear a support, and take painkillers – but the pills did nothing to help, and as soon as they wore off, you were left in agonising pain again.
- A family member, or friend, told you that everyone is more prone to Sports Injuries as they get older, so you just accepted it.
- You sought help from other Healthcare Professionals or a Physical Therapists in the past, but nothing they said or did seemed to help.
- You’ve tried using things like heat pads, ice, and sport supports but they’ve done nothing to help make the pain better or return to exercise with ease.
- You thought it would be a good idea to rest because you were in a lot of pain, but it still irritates you daily.
- You decided to get a few “sports massages” hoping that would fix the pain, but all they did was feel a bit ‘painful’ or maybe ‘relaxing’, and didn’t do anything to fix your injury long term…
If any of these have happened to you – we would love to help you by inviting you to book a call to talk with one of our physical therapists at our West Knoxville clinic to find out what can be done to help you. The fact that you’ve tried any or all of these things already is actually a GOOD THING because when you know what doesn’t work – you are closer to finding the thing that does!
Call us if you would like to get some solid advice given to you over the phone. The phone call is complimentary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over.
Our Goal is to Help You Make the Right Decision About What to do Next for the Best…
here’s 4 things you can do:
- First off, you need to make a decision about getting help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that the pain will ‘just go away with time’, but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it, and nothing’s changed… Or it gets worse and they’re still sitting out from playing sport, or exercise completely.
- Next, do the RIGHT exercises – one of the best things to help you recover quickly and safely from an injury is to do the right series of progressed exercises – the right exercises given to you by a Physiotherapist will help reduce pain, and allow you to move freely and return to sport again quick – and make sure that the problems don’t come back any time soon.
- Avoid “too much rest” – while rest is an important part of the recovery process, too much rest won’t do anything to help you recover quick. Many people believe that recovery means total rest from exercise. But in order for an injury to recover, blood flow is needed which rest prevents. It would really help if you were given appropriate recovery and strengthening exercises to heal the injury, alongside hands-on treatment, to get you active and healthy again as quickly as possible.
- Get real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy – Physical Therapy is proven to help people with Sports Injuries. If your injury is stopping you from playing sport and keeping active, if it’s affecting your job, or if it threatens your independence and gets in the way of spending quality time with family and friends – Simply Physio can help get you back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to see how our team can help you return to being active as quickly and safely as possible – we invite you to start with a completely free, no-obligation, risk free appointment:
Note: At your Discovery Session you’ll meet 1-on-1 with one of an expert Physical Therapist. We’ll assess and help you understand the root cause of your pain. If we’re a good fit, we’ll discuss the best next steps. If we’re not, we’ll do everything we can to direct you towards a solution.
So the next question is:
“How Can Simply Physio Help You Get Rid Of Your Sports Injury For Good?”
Here’s just a few of the things our Specialist Physical Therapy team can do for you:
- We can help you find out what’s really going on, and get to the root cause of your injury once and for all – often inside 20 minutes.
- We can quickly take away the pain and stiffness – usually within the first few sessions.
- We will make sure that your problem is “corrected” and “healed” properly – and we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises that will speed up your recovery.
- Pain can “zap” you of energy and keep you from playing your favorite sport and doing your favorite activity – we can help you to enjoy living with more energy each day, and return to doing what you love safely.
- We can help you put an end to needing to take all of those painkillers which are obviously not very good for your long-term health.
- We can help you avoid dangerous surgery – and painful injections.
- We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with family and friends that your injury has taken from you.
- We can help you to finally be able to walk, and move freely, without worrying if the pain is going to get worse and stop you in your tracks.
Basically… the Simply Physio team can help you get back to living life free from daily, annoying and frustrating Sports Injuries, and return to the exercise you love.
If you want to know more about cost and availability, call us today at (865) 351-0615.
“What Some of our Sports Injury Patients In Knoxville Have to Say…”
Find out how people just like you, came to Simply Physio – and left happier and much healthier!
In His 40,s, Knoxville
(running, cycling, cross-fit)
“Before calling simply physio I had concerns that there may be structural damage or something else going one . . It limited me to any type of motion that involved my knee. . . The atmosphere at Simply Physio has been one of the things I love the most. It’s really one-on-one with your therapist, really dialing in to looking at where your trigger points are and your pain or whatever you are dealing with . . . One thing I really enjoyed, being a 43 active person, is just putting work in… coming in and putting work in everyday was good.”
In Her 40’s, Knoxville
“After a few months of physical therapy, I now feel more confident to get back into running, increasing my mileage from zero back to 20-25 miles a week and I know what to do to help ease the pain when it starts coming on. I know the physical therapy exercises to do on my own.”
In His 50’s, Farragut
I wasn’t exactly sure [I needed a] physical therapist – what’s exactly going to happen? Is that just something I can look online and do? . . . When I got in here, it’s just amazing – because I don’t have the expertise and they have it Simply Physio. Years of education and experience that just the little things, what helped for me to do these different exercises and so forth. They helped me get better to where I could actually run. Before I couldn’t even run two miles. Then it got to the point where I ran the marathon.
Request An Appointment
Please fill out this form and
we will contact you about scheduling.
“Simply Physio has changed my life. I had chronic migraine and TMD issues. After the recommended course by Dr JohnMark my migraine is gone for good and TMD clicking and popping has resolved also. Simply Physio has a friendly and supportive staff on top of the excellent & professional work. Thank you Dr JohnMark, Dr Stephen, and Rose!”
“Simply Physio is such a caring place. The staff members are exceedingly kind and go beyond what is expected. I received so much help and good advice in getting help to improve mobility and strength with my problems. It is always a pleasant experience.”I was amazed at Dr. John-Mark’s approach to therapy. His approach seems to be, “What things do you want to do that you can’t do because of pain? Let’s work on those things to make life better.” He combines exercise, massage, and hands on stretching. His treatments are on a one on one basis for an hour. I was used to being started on one exercise and then the therapist moving on to another person. Dr. John-Mark was there with me during each exercise making sure I did everything correctly.
Since I “graduated” I haven’t had any back pain.
Remember the Doctor can only do so much; a lot depends on you continuing the exercise program he gives you, so keep it up.
I must also mention Ashley at the front desk. She always welcomes you with a smile and your name on a “Welcome” sign on the desk. She schedules your appointments, and emails reminders that you have an appointment due. Did I mention she smiles?”